free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Adrian Belew Trio, Vienna, VA 3-15-08 setlist/review

Adrian Belew Trio, Vienna, VA 3-15-08 setlist/review

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Adrian Belew Trio, Vienna, VA 3-15-08 setlist/review

Postby bionicheart on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:25 am

hey all, newbie to the board not to the music :D

Writing on the Wall
Dinosaur
&
Young Lions
Beat Box Guitar
A Little Madness
Drive>Within You, Without You>Drive*
E
Of Bow and Drum
Big Electric Cat
3 of a Perfect Pair
encore(s)
Neurotica
Thela

* without The Slicks

Oh man what a show (sold out). The Trio was a awesome well oiled machine for the last gig of the tour. I knew what to expect seeing them last year, but I was even more impressed this night. Everyone was firing on all cylinders. A flawless show music and tech wise. John did a great job on the mix. It sounded much better then the show last year.
I brought my dad along and he was very impressed, and it was cool introducing him to Ade after the show. As we were leaving Ade said, "Bye Dad." Now my pops knows why I gush over how talented Adrian and the trio are. Chatted with Martha briefly pre-show. Saul's set was nice.
Wall opened in all it's fury. What I would give to see Les Claypool's reaction on how bad ass Julie is on bass, especially on this tune. Great opener.
Dinosaur was perfect. The Trio adds so much to KC songs, they sound more like a 5 piece band. Nice crowd response.
Ampersand had a awesome drawn out jam.
Ade asked how many of us were in the crowd since he couldn't see the crowd with the stage lights. Someone yelled out there are 10,000 of us, and Ade joked thru out the show about playing to such a large crowd.
Young Lions opened with a killer drum intro from Eric, I told him after the show he is a beast. I would hate to be his kit w/ all the beating it gets. I am still slackjawed how great of a drummer he is and what he gets out of it being a small kit. Lions was awesome, prolly the best version I've heard, its a top 5 Ade song for me, so always a thrill hearing it.
Beatbox was amazing. Again Eric had me amazed, as well as Ade and Julie. Ade's solo's last night were just on, incredible.
Madness was next, as I said in previous reviews, I love this tune live compared with the studio version. Pretty long jams during this one.
Drive w/in w/out you followed. Got a nice response from the all ages crowd.
E followed and it was seemless (no false starts or boo boo's) Very interesting tune. I would love to hear it again to give more thought to it. Great "new" tune.
Of Bow and Drum was excellent. Such a great song, I am happy it's in the rotation.
BEC had me bopping around. Eric was really driving this. Great soloing by Ade.
TOAPP was a great ender, again, it was flawless and had the crowd singing along.
they encored with thumping versions of Neurotica and Thela.
Just an incredible show, I am still in awe.
Chatted with Gary for a bit and joked I should get autograph from him for having the offspring he and Robin have. And asked him how his stay was at the Bates Motel. Talked with Eric and Julie for a moment. Said hi the Ade and gave him my Sharpie for his just ran out with a long line of well wishers and autograph seekers.
I picked up Side Four and got it signed.
Headed back to our friend Karl's house and sipped on awesome tequila my dad brought back from a recent trip to Mexico and puffed well into the night. Capped the night watching a Paul Simon dvd.
I had such a wonderful evening, I can't wait to see the Trio again.
And to our friends overseas, you may have some surprises soon.
"Good friends we have had, good friends we've lost along the way"
bionicheart
ProjeKction Acolyte

Re: Adrian Belew Trio, Vienna, VA 3-15-08 setlist/review

Postby vrooom on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:58 am

Welcome. You are the best kind of member - one that actually brings something to the table. Can I clone you? :D

Darren
vrooom
Button Pusher

Postby Fred on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:06 pm

Welcome on board Bionicheart, that's a nice review.

bionicheart wrote:And to our friends overseas, you may have some surprises soon.

Aha.......can you tell us a bit of this "surprise" :mrgreen: ?

Fred
He who tries to be his own teacher
becomes his favorite student.
Fred
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby bionicheart on Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:19 pm

vrooom wrote:Welcome. You are the best kind of member - one that actually brings something to the table. Can I clone you? :D

Darren

Thanks Darren!
Sure, clone away. Can you send one of them into work for me today :wink:
bionicheart
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby bionicheart on Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:25 pm

Fred wrote:Welcome on board Bionicheart, that's a nice review.

bionicheart wrote:And to our friends overseas, you may have some surprises soon.

Fred

Well Eric said it is hush hush, but look for South America and Europe dates this year.
bionicheart
ProjeKction Acolyte

Postby Fred on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:51 am

bionicheart wrote:

Fred

Well Eric said it is hush hush, but look for South America and Europe dates this year.

A good news!!! The last time the played in Europe the also visite my hometown but i couldend make it to the gig so let's hope the return so i can make it this time :mrgreen:

Fred
Fred
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Fred on Tue May 20, 2008 12:08 pm

bionicheart wrote:

Fred

Well it's not announced on the Belew site but i just saw that The Adrian Belew Power Trio will play 29th of October 2008 at de Paard van Troje (Trojan Horse) in The Hague Holland and as this is just a small 30 minutes with the train from my home i try to see that show :mrgreen:
http://www.paard.nl/Default.aspx?event- ... dex1241262

Fred
Fred
ProjeKction Godlike

Return to Reviews