free counter with statistics
:: ProjeKction - King Crimson NET :: • View topic - Live at the Hackney Empire 07 September 2015

Live at the Hackney Empire 07 September 2015

Post all your reviews here - whether they are album reviews, gig reviews or DVD reviews.

Re: Live at the Hackney Empire 07 September 2015

Postby Yali on Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:23 pm

The sad thing is I've turned a few friends on to Crimson via their crazy live stuff and the Projekcts and now I'm afraid the live shows are gonna turn them off. I'm dealing with a young crowd so the more modern stuff is what grabs us. Myself, I'm 26 and got turned on to Crimson at 13. I think what does it for me is that Crimson (in most cases) blended chops with raw attitude all while innovating. Fripp was somehow able to start trends before they began in full. Listening to the Wetton era I swear I'm hearing the genesis of post-punk, goth rock, grunge and post rock all at once, only played with the subtlety of jazz masters. I think what's lacking with this lineup is grit as you've said Darren. Oh how I would kill to hear John Wetton return to playing his sexy, thumpy bass and singing tracks like One More Red Nightmare with all that verve and attitude.

Jakko seems to do the Islands material perfectly but he lacks the imposing confidence of Wetton or even Belew. See being a rock star frontman is hard. You need to be the kind of person who takes up space in a room. Alpha-male material to put it bluntly. Belew may have been kind of a dork but did he ever command an audience. Watching gigs with Belew in 80s I see how intense he was able to be especially with his stare and sense of humour.

Personally, my ideal scenario (and we're talking ideal here) is for Fripp to shrink down the band to a more manageable state and get Rieflin to give him the Swans' guys numbers. Michael Gira is the kind of guy that I think needs to be fronting Crimson. He's mysterious, imposing, masculine yet sexy, and with a deep crooning voice. He also is an amazing lyricist. I forgot the name of Swans' bassist but man he channels 70s Wetton. I saw them last winter and I could feel the Crimson influence. Tony is well Tony. For all the amazing playing he's done prior I wasn't too down with his performance on Orpheum. I dunno, but during Starless it was if there was no tension nor momentum in his basswork. Where was the punch? I feel the band needs a younger crop of musicians, perhaps those of serious talent who haven't yet hit stardom. Fripp, as always, seems to play with the vigour of a 21 year old. I think if they kept that old art rock vibe while updating the sound to a more modern post-rockish style with younger, angrier musicians it would be a sure winner, channeling their 70s mystery and danger through a 2010s lens.

I also would like to see Fripp just go at it and jam more with Mel Collins. Fripp is such an amazing player its disappointing that there's less free form improvisation where I believe he really shows his best side.

Still waiting to see them this November with high hopes.
Yali
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby jtmack on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:20 am

I agree with most of what you say but Michael Gira really??
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Yali on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Either Gira or Nick Cave would do. They both have that deep dark goth voice that is better suited to Crimson's dark muscular music than the more high pitched and muzaky singing of Jakko. Listen to Love Will Save You or Failure or Nick Cave's Super Heathen Child with Fripp to see the kind of voice that would better suit Crimson. Considering Crimson has always been a band focused on the dark, brooding, mysterious, strange and heavy, I think perhaps its time to search for a singer who channels those very emotions rather than someone who sounds like an old hippy.

In many ways, Crimson has always been more on the side of post-rock, metal, and alternative rock than 70s prog. For one, Crimson has focused more on experimentation and noise, often brutally so, rather than the baroque intricacy of Yes, ELP or Jethro Tull.

To put it bluntly, King Crimson/Robert Fripp have always been apart from the rest of that genre, however I think Fripp may be a little apprehensive (or stubborn) about recruiting musicians who may be out of his "comfort zone" so to speak. In many ways, I feel the '72 band and the '81 band were his best moves when it came to forming a group because the choice of musicians were unexpected (a shrieking violinist and a guy who throws trash around was furthest you could get from the 69 to 71 band's sensibilities, the same thing with Belew who was coming from the New Wave scene)

I think it would be wise if Fripp realized this and complemented the sound by adding a member from the post-punk side of things rather than a guy who I personally feel sucks the energy and muscle out of the music.
Yali
ProjeKction Abecedarian

Postby jtmack on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Yali wrote:Either Gira or Nick Cave would do.
I agree with what your saying but as far Cave or Gira their voices lack dynamics. Of course it's just a matter of taste. Fripp needs someone to push Crimson's direction away from the elevator music Fripp's in to this friction creates edge.
jtmack
ProjeKction Godlike

Postby Krimzep on Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:45 pm

After hearing several recordings, I have eased my opinion of this lineup. I am still not totally sold on the 3 drummers thing but this year they are a lot tighter. The piece Radical Action is awesome and even though they play it before a couple different tunes it fits best for the beginning of meltdown which is much better for it. Mel Collins is the best part. the performance from Sept 24th is really, really good I wonder if DGM will release their version. The recordings I have heard os far are excellent.

I would like to see this band after all.
Krimzep
ProjeKction Godlike

Previous

Return to Reviews